A police officer has been charged after the alleged assault of an Indigenous teenager in Surry Hills last year.
On Tuesday police confirmed a constable had been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault, 11 months after footage surfaced of the officer allegedly tripping a 16-year-old Indigenous teenager while arresting him, slamming the boy face-first on to bricks.
The officer involved, a constable who has worked for New South Wales police for three years, was placed on restricted duties in June after police professional standards launched an investigation into the incident.
In a statement on Tuesday, police said the officer was issued with a court attendance notice on Tuesday for assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault.
The officer is due to appear before Downing Centre local court on Thursday 24 June 2021.
Police said in a statement that the officer’s employment “is under review”.
The footage of the incident showed the boy standing metres away from the officer as someone said: “I don’t need to open my ears, I’ll crack you across the jaw, bro.”
The officer then approached the boy, using his leg to sweep the teenager’s feet from under him while his arms were held behind his back, causing the teenager to slam face-first into the ground.